Sunday 17 November 2013

SIMPLE SUNDAY: Holiday Lights

Nothing to Disclose

I lied about avoiding holiday things. But I was seriously stumped, lovelies, I was!


You see, my prompt this week for my Follow the Devil ABC Challenge was N for Neon. NEON! There's a foot of snow on the ground outside (no, not exaggerating) (there may in fact be more than that) (it was -15˚C/+5˚F out today). How the bloody hell am I supposed to use neons at this time of year??


This was my answer. Holiday lights, loosely inspired by Sarah at Chalkboard Nails. (Hers are way nicer, naturally.)


I started this look with two coats of my trusty Camelot, followed by one thick coat of Masquerade for interest. I then dabbed on the white circles with White On (diluted in acetone) and a cotton bud, and dabbed Moon overtop of that for the glow effect (seen below). I painted the bulbs on using undiluted White On and my Nina Ultra Pro neons, used Seraphina for the wire, and topped it all off with top coat.


If I were to do this again, I would bother to dilute the neons with acetone and daub them onto the circles as well, for lighting congruity, but I didn't want to get overly complicated with a Simple Sunday design. I'd also recommend just using white acrylic paint and a tiny brush to do the wire, using nail polish made it way too thick.


Polishes used:
piCture pOlish - Masquerade (no longer available)
Sally Hansen - White On
Americal Apparel - Moon (glow in the dark)
Nina Ultra Pro - Punki Pink, Orange Flame, Solar Flare, Lime Light
Zoya - Seraphina
butter LONDON - Nail Foundation (base coat)
cotton bud
acetone for diluting nail polish
medium detail brush
tiny detail brush

I will try to make my next design less holidays-ish, more just plain wintry. Because, I assure you, I have plenty of inspiration in that department. Maybe I'll even do a mani for all your crazy Americans and your way-late Thanksgiving! ;)

xo,

J.

6 comments:

  1. This is great! I love the idea of using the neons for the Christmas lights. I've always wanted to do a manicure like this, definitely going to have to try now! Great work! (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Marisa! Please drop me a line here or by email when you try this yourself, I would love the see it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What funny idea! :-D
    I like it very much.... the colors, the way you realized... I'm impressed. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahaha, oooooh glowy! :) Thank you as always, sweet pea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad you like it, thank you for your sweet words!

    ReplyDelete
  6. HA! No kidding. Also, nicely offset my increasing pallor...


    Thanks bb! x

    ReplyDelete

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS